- STATS. You weigh about 23 pounds now. Don't ask me how you're not big as a house by now with the way you eat! I'm pretty sure you're 30-32 inches tall... it's on the wall but I'm too lazy to check at the moment. You currently have Your four front top teeth, two top molars, and three bottom front teeth. 9!
- WALKING. You took your first independent steps on November 27th, 2011. Shortly after turning one. It took a while though, before you could be considered 'a walker'... suddenly during the first week of January you stopped crawling altogether!
- TRAVELING. Daddy got his Canadian Permanent Residence, so he had to go back to Mexico over the Christmas holidays. So you and I took our first road trip together on December 15th. We drove from Toronto to the Soo, stopping only once at Tim Hortons in Espanola. We shared an egg sandwich and everyone around thought you were the cutest thing ever! You cried a bit during the ride, but overall you were a great traveller!
- SICKNESS. You had your first stomach bug over Christmas. Our second day at Grampy and Omi's house you went to bed on your own in the playpen for the first time EVER. I put you to bed at 7:30 and was amazed at how well you took to it! (Little did I know that you were sick). Auntie Kiki and I then capitalized on this newfound freedom and went shopping at the mall. When we arrived home I expected you to be up hanging out with the partiers (Grampy and Omi had friends over), but lo and behold, you were still asleep! I was afraid to go in the bedroom because I didn't want to wake you up, but I could only last until 1am. 20 minutes after I came in, you woke up so I took you into bed with me, fed you, and you fell fast asleep. 10 minutes later it was puke city. I can't believe how much you threw up. The whole bed was soaked! I thought it was because you had such a huge feed because it was the longest time without feeding, but 15 min after that you puked again. And this was not cute baby puke. It was full on LAKES of curdled milk. You pretty much puked every half hour to every hour for the next 20 hours. It was scary. You were so lethargic and seemed so sad. But you were very snuggly. Auntie Kiki and I took you to the hospital because I was afraid you were getting dehydrated, but it was ok. Even after you stopped throwing up, it took you a couple of weeks to get back to your normal playful self :(
- BEING CUTE. You have a game you play, which started in your highchair. You began to give us a 'coy look' (I call it 'the puss-in-boots face) where you would put your chin to your chest, pout your lips, and gaze up at us through your crazy long lashes. Since we always laughed when you did it, you started to do it on purpose to make people laugh! Now we can do it to you and then you do it back. When people laugh you get the biggest smile! It's been hard to catch a good photo of 'the look' but below is the best I could get...
- You also have this 'shocked face'. Whenever you hear a loud noise (big truck, train horn) or an animal noise, you suck in air really fast and make this surprised noise while your jaw drops and your eyes bug out really big. When you do it I want to literally eat you up.
- You blow kisses. Sooooo sweet.
- Your poop face is epic.
- We can say 'Go to sleep!' and you immediately put your head down wherever you are - floor, the water in the bathtub (that was a mistake!), or even on your little bike seat on Mum's bike!
- You really are a ham and have an amazing sense of humour and the most infectious laugh!
- BEING SPORTY. You are amazing. You run and kick the soccer ball and none of it is an accident. You put the ball exactly where you want it to go. You can also throw and catch very well. As for hockey, you love to take slapshots with your various balls with your little mini hockey stick. You even hold it properly now! You also love running and riding bikes.
- SLEEPING. You started sleeping through the night. The first time was December 29th 2011, and you slept from 7:30 pm to 5 am. I woke up in a panic wondering where you were and whether you were ok. But of course, you were just fine. I guess you liked this new idea called 'sleeping', because you began to do it more and more often. Soon your new pattern was to occasionally sleep the whole night in your crib, but usually you would wake up once around 3-4 am, and I would take you into bed, feed you, and you'd spend the rest of the night between me and Papa. Then, starting mid-march (so 16 months old), you suddenly started sleeping through the whole night on a regular basis. So now, you sleep from about 8pm to 6:30 am. It's very rare for you to wake during the night, and even when you do, you usually fall back asleep on your own after a few minutes of whining. If you don't settle, I take you, feed you, and then put you back in your crib where you promptly fall back asleep. To be honest... I MISS YOU! But... I am much better rested ;). Regardless of the things everyone told us about what a big mistake it was to let you in our bed, the whole thing was a incredibly WONDERFUL experience, and it ended naturally, peacefully, and completely painlessly. It was such an amazing bonding experience with you!
- WORDS. Your first word was ball. Now you say: Mum, Dat (Dad), Gapa (grandpa), cock (clock - LOL), atch (watch), hat, house, up, down, stairs, yes, no, ouch, wow, whoa, look, this, yuck, bubble, flower, book, duck, uh-oh, woof, bus, done, ish (fish), choo-choo, eyes, bike, wawa (water), nana (bananas), boo, poo, Joo-Joo (nickname for your girlfriend Julia) and go. Grampy told me this past weekend that you said to him 'go downstairs', so you said your first sentence! You moo, growl, roar, and woof whenever you see pictures of animals or the real thing. Lots of animals sound the same in your world - the cutest little growly-type sound I've ever heard. You also still babble a lot and it is freaking adorable. You communicate a lot non-verbally, via pointing. You also ask permission by showing or starting to do something you're unsure of and going "yeah? yeah?" If we say ok then you go ahead, and if we say no you stop! You are so well behaved!
- EATING. You are an amazing eater. You pretty much eat anything and everything, and 24/7. You're still nursing about 3 times a day - when you wake up, when we get home after the babysitter's, and before bed. For new year's you had squid and octopus. Yeah. You also love spicy foods - sometimes you cry and try to scratch it off of your tongue, but as soon as you stop you are begging for more! The only thing that's harder is veggies, although Diana your babysitter claims she has no problem getting you to eat them and actually that she can't feed you broccoli fast enough! You eat whatever we eat. We had such an easy time as far as solid foods go. I attribute that to my 'baby-led weaning method'. You eat eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, cereal, steel cut oatmeal, and toast for breakfast. For lunch you eat grilled cheese sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, soup, or pasta. For dinner it's whatever we make - such as quiche, soup, ribs, chicken dishes, hamburgers, hotdogs, meatloaf, fish, lasagna, and much more. ALSO, beginning in mid-january, you started to eat with a spoon and fork. Now, you're pretty much an expert at it and hardly spill at all or get any on your clothes or face! You eat ALL. THE. TIME. You are constantly going into my diaper bag and getting your treats out or opening up the treat cupboard and asking for crackers or arrowroot cookies. Whenever we open the fridge you are scrambling to get an apple or grapes. And whenever you see an orange you HAVE TO HAVE IT. Seriously, yesterday you ate 3.
- BEING A SMARTY-PANTS. You are a genius. If I do say so myself. You understand sooooo much, in both English and Spanish. We basically talk to you like an adult and you understand pretty much everythingwe say. We started asking you 'where's your.... (eyes, ears, hair, nose, mouth, teeth, tongue, hands, fingers, feet, toes, bum, belly) and you love to point at everthing. When we say teeth you chomp your teeth and when we say tongue you dart your tongue in and out. You can open most doors now, and you knock on doors too. You have a couple of wooden puzzles that you figured out how to put together, and you quickly figured out the wooden stacking rings toy. You LOVE reading. Every night before bed we tell you to go get a book and we read together. You also love art and colouring. I have so much artwork from your time at the play centre with the babysitter! You pretty much observe everything we do and parrot us. Wether it's sweeping the floor, vacuuming, planting the garden, or working with tools, you want to be right in there doing it all! Recently, you've occasionally started grabbing your bum and saying 'poo' when you have pooped. Then I ask you 'do you need to go to the bathroom?' and you nod, so we go to the bathroom and you climb up onto the toilet. Since you've already gone I don't bother taking your clothes off but I think it's a pretty good sign that we'll be starting the potty training process this summer!
- PLAYING. We take you to the park every day of the weekend. Sometimes we jog with you in the stroller first and then head to the playground or the lake to feed the ducks and swans. You go down the slides by yourself by turning around and sliding on your belly. You looooove the slides and any kind of stairs/climbing wall/ ramps, but hate the swings. Maybe because you're 'trapped' in there? You beg to go outside 24/7. So we take you out every chance we get. You ride your little bike around the courtyard Fred Flintstone style. I can't wait to set up a kiddie-pool for you! Whenever you're playing, every few minutes you run up to me for a big hug! Melts my heart. You love to dance. Any time you hear music you wiggle your bum and 'jump' up and down, and spin around too. Even if you're nursing you start wiggling your booty! It's so cute. You also love to hide and then jump out screaming 'boo!'.
- RANDOM. You're obsessed with my pj's. When you're home with Papa, you carry my pj top around with you. *Sniff sniff*. You also pick out your own clothes a lot. Your favourite shirt is red with a bulldog skateboarding on it. When we go shopping, we always ask if you like this or that and if you say 'yes' we'll buy it! You like watching Treehouse. You had a Grampy obsession but now you're over it and love all of your family members. Julia from daycare is your girlfriend. You guys hold hands and kiss. You love grocery shopping with us. We usually go around 7-8 am on Saturday mornings and since it's so dead you're allowed to explore the store. When we've gone during busier times however, you have been very well behaved.
- In general, you are a very good little boy. You listen when we tell you no. If you don't listen, we'll take you inside, or put you in your crib. You'll cry for a couple of minutes and then we'll go in and talk to you, telling you why you've been punished and asking if you're going to listen to Mama and Papa now. That's usually all it takes to get you to behave. The hardest is diaper changes and getting you dressed after bathtime. For some reason you really act up at those times.
- FIRST HAIRCUT. I'm picky. And I love your hockey hair with its little curls around the ears and back. But... it was getting in your eyes. So I thought 'I cut my own bangs, why not Max's?' and proceeded to snip. Ooops. Off we went to find a hairdresser last minute to fix it. Not as easy as one would think. Two places said they wouldn't do kids. We ended up in the Zellers salon. Eeesh. Not exactly what I envisioned for your first momentous haircut. I hovered. Not too short! Oooh, tooooo shoooooort. You were amazing, charming, and sweet. But this is never happening again.
As always sweet boy, I love you more with every breath you take.
xoxo, Mum






























No comments:
Post a Comment